For more than 120 years, Ameriprise Financial has initiated positive change in the communities where we live and work. We help our clients plan for their future but the help many others need is getting through the next day or week. This is where we focus our giving – providing the next meal, a bed for a night, improved wages, basic budgeting skills and vital communities. In 2014, 163 grants helped strengthen nonprofits in these areas.
- Commitment to hunger-relief
- Strategic grant making
- Disaster relief and recovery
- Employee and financial advisor gift matching and volunteerism
Commitment to hunger-relief
One in six Americans struggles with hunger. These are often hard-working adults, children and seniors who simply cannot make ends meet and are forced to go without food for several meals, or even days. Ameriprise Financial is proud to partner with Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, serving 46 million Americans — including 16 million children — struggling with hunger (source: Feeding America)
In 2014, our company, financial advisors and employees provided 10 million meals to hunger-relief organizations across the country by:
- Matching $500,000 in public donations to Feeding America Sept. through Nov.
- Rallying 12,500 Ameriprise volunteers to provide 30,000 hours to Feeding America member food banks and hunger-relief nonprofits for our fifth National Day of Service.
- Awarding grants to 48 hunger-relief organizations nationwide.
- Conducting employees and advisor food drives and volunteer events.
- Matching employee and advisor donations to hunger-relief organizations.
Strategic grant making
Grant making is an important part of how we strengthen our communities and help individuals start on a path to financial independence. To increase our collective impact, we strategically focus our giving on three priorities to better leverage our resources and engage our people:
- Meeting Basic Needs – Helping people in our neighborhoods find their next meal, a place to sleep tonight or a livable wage job.
- Supporting Community Vitality – Building communities where neighbors look out for one another, cultural events are accessible and people pull together in times of crisis and joy.
- Volunteer-Driven Causes – Supporting nonprofits that strengthen our communities through the active engagement of Ameriprise people as volunteers.
Grant applications may be submitted at any time and are reviewed twice per year with deadlines of January 15 and May 15. We will notify you of our decision within 4 months of the deadline date. Please review the Ameriprise Financial Grant Making Guidelines and apply for a grant today.
Disaster relief and recovery
As a company committed to personal financial planning, we strongly believe in preparing for the unexpected in life. In addition to the focus areas above, every year we support the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund and International Response Fund so that they can immediately help when tragedy hits a community. We also support the St. Bernard Project a national long-term disaster recovery organization who helps communities impacted by disasters have the resources to prepare and recover in the most prompt, efficient and predictable way possible.
Employee and advisor gift matching and volunteerism
One of our company values is “respect for individuals and the communities in which we live and work.” We help advisors and employees live this value by matching donations up to an annual maximum of $2,000 per eligible individual and providing paid time off to volunteer. In 2014 employees and advisors contributed more than $3.8 million to nonprofits of their choice. Together with our company match, more than $6.8 million was awarded to 6,000 nonprofits last year. In addition, advisors and employees contributed more than 66,000 volunteer hours to causes important to them and by rallying together for our Ameriprise National Day of Service.