Online tax information FAQ
- Your tax information will be available online approximately 3 to 5 business days following mailing of tax statements. Please refer to the 2013 tax statement mailing dates. Log in to the secure site on ameriprise.com to view your statements under Statements & Documents.
- Tax information will be available online starting with tax year 2006. Amended tax information is available starting with tax year 2007.
- Yes, you will continue to receive paper tax statements in the mail even though they are available online. At this time we don't offer the option for exclusive electronic tax statement delivery.
- If you don't see your tax information online, it might not be available yet — please check the tax statement mailing dates.
- Tax information won't be available for you to view online if:
- You are not the taxpayer on the account. For security reasons, only the person listed as the taxpayer on an account, whose Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) is on the tax statement, will have access to the online tax statement. For example, a joint account owner who is not the first-named taxpayer on the account will not have access to the online statement.
- The taxpayer on the account is younger than 18 and therefore does not have access to the secure site on ameriprise.com.
- You do not have tax statements reportable under your Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) because the accounts you own didn't have reportable activity in 2013.
- Your only reportable activity was less than $10.00 in taxable interest or dividend earnings. We do not produce Form 1099-INT, Interest Income or Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions, for taxable earnings less than $10.00.
- You own a RAVA 5 annuity. These accounts can be identified on your financial statement by the account number:
- Accounts purchased in the state of New York begin with 9935
- Accounts purchased in all other states begin with 9925
- The form you received is not available online; for example, Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source of Income Subject to Withholding tax statements, both original and corrected, are not available online.
- You are looking for Riversource tax statements. RAVA 5 annuity tax statements are not currently available to view on ameriprise.com. You can see your tax statements for these accounts on riversource.com.
- There are some other special situations that might prevent the online availability of certain tax statements.
- If you need to get a copy of a tax statement that is currently not available online, contact your financial advisor or customer service at 1.800.862.7919.
- RAVA 5 annuity tax statements are not available to view on ameriprise.com. You can see your tax statements for these accounts on riversource.com.
- If the original 2013 tax statement was available online1, then 2013 tax statements updated in 2014 will also be available online.
- Tax statements that are updated in 2014 for tax years 2011 and/or 2012 will not be available online.
- Updated statements will be available online 1-2 business days following mailing.
- Updated tax statements may be issued when changes to previously reported tax information are required for various reasons such as:
- Corrections to transactions or data within an account
- Security issuers providing us with income reclassifications of all or part of previously reported dividend distributions2
- Cost basis corrections
- If you need an additional copy of an updated tax statement not available online, contact your financial advisor or customer service at 1.800.862.7919.
1 Some tax statements are not available online. See “Why don't I see my tax information online?” above.
2 For more information on income reclassification, see Tax Filing FAQ — Why did I get a corrected Form 1099-DIV (Dividends and Distributions).
- If you need a copy of a tax statement that is not available online, contact your financial advisor or customer service at 1.800.862.7919.
To register, visit ameriprise.com/register. You will need your Social Security number and Ameriprise Financial client number which can be found in the upper right hand corner of your financial statement. This is a secure website and registration process.
- Go to riversource.com.
- On the right side of page in the "Annuity Client Login" section, click Register here.
- In the "No – I am a new user" box, select Go to create your User ID and Password.
- Follow the guidelines listed on the page to create your User ID and Password and click continue.
- Select your Security validation question and answer. This will be used to verify your identity if you forget your password.
- Accept the terms and conditions of usage.
- Authenticate yourself by entering name, SSN, date of birth, zip code and annuity contract/policy number.
- View your account data.
- If you enter incorrect user ID or password information when attempting to log in to the secure site you will be directed to a page where you will have the options to update your log in information.
- To retrieve your user ID click on "Forgot your ID?" Verify your identity by providing the last 4 digits of you tax ID, date of birth and last name. You will answer one of the security questions that you selected when establishing your account. Your user ID will be provided to you following a correct answer to the security question.
- To change your password, click on "Forgot your password?" Enter your user ID and click "continue". You will answer one of the security questions that you selected when establishing your account. Following a correct answer to the security question, your temporary password will be sent to your email address on file. Access your email and follow the instructions provided in the message to establish your new password.
- Online tax information is created as PDF files; you'll need to ensure that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 (or higher) on your computer.
- If you still have trouble viewing your online tax information, try saving it to your desktop and then opening the saved file.
- First, open the online tax information, and then use the functionality in Adobe Acrobat Reader under the "File" menu to "Save" and "Print."
Can I import my Ameriprise Financial tax information into my TurboTax® or H&R Block® Tax Software tax returns?
- Yes. The six types of forms that are available for download to TurboTax include 1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, 1099-OID and 1099-R.
- For H&R Block Tax Software Form 1099-MISC is not available for download but the other forms listed above are all available.
- Tax information will be available to download at approximately the same time that tax statements are mailed and available online. You should wait until you receive your tax statements in the mail or access them online before importing your tax information. The mailer page of your tax statement contains your login credentials which change each year. You should always compare the imported information against the tax statement to verify that the information matches.
- Tax data for tax year 2013 will be available for import through the middle of October 2014. The exact date has been set yet, but it will be close to the expiration of the 2013 filing extension on October 15, 2014 when the Internal Revenue Service discontinues e-filing.
- Learn more about importing your tax information from Ameriprise Financial into TurboTax or H&R Block® Tax Software.
Neither Ameriprise Financial nor its representatives or affiliates may provide tax or legal advice. Consult with your tax advisor or attorney regarding specific issues.
Brokerage, investment and financial advisory services are made available through Ameriprise Financial Services, Inc. Member FINRA and SIPC. Some products and services may not be available in all jurisdictions or to all clients.