Secure Site Registration, User ID, Password FAQs
Registration, user IDs and passwords
How do I sign up for online access to my accounts?
Register for online access to the secure site on ameriprise.com
What are the guidelines for creating my user ID and passwords?
Your user ID must contain:
- Five to 20 characters
- At least one letter
- No spaces and no special characters, such as: & > * $ @
Your password must contain:
- Six to 16 characters
- At least one letter
- At least one number
- At least one special character, such as: ! & * $ @
Why do I get the message “User ID already in use” when I am trying to create my User ID?
Another online user has already selected the user ID you are trying to create. You may try adding numbers or letters to the beginning or end of the user ID you’d like to use.
I forgot my user ID. What do I do now?
- You will need your SSN or tax ID# to complete this process.
- Please remember to select an account from the “Select an Account” dropdown list.
How do I change my User ID?
Please contact us at 800.862.7919.
What should I do if I forgot or wish to reset my password?
If you forgot your password, you must reset it.
- In order to reset your password, you will need your User ID.
- If you do not have your User ID, contact us at 800.862.7919.
What if I currently have different user IDs I wish to consolidate?
Contact us at 800.862.7919 to consolidate your user IDs.
What should I do if my access is suspended or revoked?
For your protection, online access to your account will be temporarily suspended if:
- You entered the wrong user ID and/or password multiple times
- You entered the wrong security validation question or the wrong security validation answer multiple times
To re-instate your access, contact us at 800.862.7919.
What can I do with the secure site on ameriprise.com?
The secure site on ameriprise.com allows you to check balances, access online statements and e-delivery, pay bills, communicate securely with your advisor and more. Learn more about the secure site on ameriprise.com
Can corporations register for the secure site on ameriprise.com?
Yes, once eligibility is verified, corporations can gain access to the secure site on ameriprise.com. To verify eligibility, a company representative should call customer service at 800.862.7919.
When logging in, why do I see the terms and conditions page when I have already registered?
This may happen when we update the terms and conditions or when you incorrectly enter your user ID. Because the user ID is not the same one you initially registered with, our site assumes you are a new user. To retrieve the correct user ID, click on the “Forgot your ID or password” link on the login page.
What should I do if I can’t access the site?
There are several solutions that may resolve this issue:
- Clear your browser’s cache.
- Make sure your system date and time are correct.
- Edit your Bookmark, or Favorite, to ensure you have not bookmarked a secure page. You may have bookmarked an out-of-date location.
- Check to make sure you have the most recent version of one of the supported browsers. See “What are the browser requirements for accessing my accounts online” for a full list of supported browsers.
- Make sure your browser’s privacy settings are set to medium.
Which operating systems work best with Ameriprise websites?
Our websites are currently optimized for use with the supported operating systems noted below.
Using a supported operating system provides you with the most secure experience and helps ensure our websites display correctly.
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- 10.9 (Mavericks)
- 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- 10.7 (Lion)
- 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- 10.5 (Leopard)
- iOS 7
What are the browser requirements for accessing my accounts online?
A supported browser: Our sites are best viewed with a modern version of one of the supported browsers listed below. To upgrade your browser or try a different one, select a link below:
- 128-bit encryption: Also called domestic, U.S.-grade or strong encryption, this encodes information so it cannot be read without decoding.
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) version 3.0 protocol: This ensures that communication between your computer and our web server can’t be interrupted or intercepted by an unauthorized user.
- Cookies enabled: This allows the site to recognize you.
What can I do if some areas of your website are not displaying correctly?
To help ensure that the website displays correctly, try one of the options below:
What does it mean to clear my browser’s cache and how do I do it?
Your browser stores recently visited web pages in a cache directory on your hard drive to save time and allow pages to load faster. Occasionally, some saved information can become corrupted and cause problems when a page is loading or the browser attempts to run a web page application. Clearing the cache replaces the corrupt information by reloading pages directly from the server.
Please consult your browser’s help section for instructions.
Why can I access my accounts at home, but not at work?
You could be hitting your company’s firewall, which was set up to protect your company network from Internet activity. Check with your network administrator to see if your company has access restrictions and if they can be lifted for access to our site.
Home computer firewalls may also prevent you from accessing your accounts online.
Can I use favorites or bookmarks?
We recommend that you only bookmark ameriprise.com, which contains a login box to access your accounts.
Does the secure site on ameriprise.com use pop-up windows?
This site may use pop-up windows for some information. We recommend that you configure pop-up blocking software to exclude our sites.
How do you keep my confidential information secure?