What to Do if Insurance Denies Claim and More Claims Tips

After an accident, if you have a dispute with your insurance company (or the insurance company of an at-fault driver) on the amount or the value of damage to your vehicle, there are additional avenues you may try outside of direct negotiation.

If you do not agree with the compensation or your claim has been denied outright, here are some things you can do.

File a claim

To start a claim, contact us at 800.872.5246.

Or, if you were involved in an auto accident and no one was injured, file your claim online.

  • Obtain additional evidence to provide to the insurer. New information may bring clarity.
  • Work with a neutral third party. In certain situations, a "mediator” can help resolve your dispute in an informal, voluntary and non-binding process called mediation. If you are unable to reach a settlement, you may continue with your claim. You are not bound to a settlement, unless all parties agree to the terms.
  • Connect with an arbitrator. In some situations, an arbitrator may work with you and the other party to reach a result, or he or she may just simply dictate the result. This is a binding process called arbitration, with the right to appeal to the court.
  • Review the appraisers or umpire selected. Depending on the appraisers and/or umpire selected by you and the other party, your dispute over the amount of a loss is resolved with their help. This appraisal would be done in accordance with the appraisal clause in your policy.
  • File a lawsuit. As a last resort, you may file a lawsuit to resolve the claim (also known as litigation). Your policy may require you to participate in some of the above options prior to filing a lawsuit. Be sure to check your policy language.