What is Subrogation?

What happens if you file a claim with your insurance company or the at-fault party after you’ve been involved in an accident that is someone else’s fault? Your insurance company may pay for the damage to your vehicle if one carries the applicable coverage, but they will then seek to recover that money from the insurance company of the at-fault party. This is called subrogation.

Keep in mind that even though you may have seen a rise in premium because of a not-at-fault accident on your record, you can take steps to lower your premium.

File a claim

To start a claim, contact us at 800.872.5246.

Or, if you were involved in an auto accident and no one was injured, file your claim online.

  • The most obvious thing to do would be to drive more safely and to drive less often. After a certain amount of time has passed where you have not been involved in any additional accidents, your premium may be lowered.
  • Sometimes taking a defensive driving course can lead to a discount on your policy.
  • Consider raising your deductible. Typically, a higher deductible means a lower premium.