What is loss of use insurance?

Loss of use coverage, also known as additional living expense coverage, helps you offset the costs of living elsewhere while your home is being repaired (in the event that something happens to your home that makes it uninhabitable).

What does additional living expenses insurance cover?

Additional living expenses insurance may cover the cost of the following while your home is considered “inhabitable”:

  • Lodging (rent or hotel stays)
  • Restaurant meals
  • Pet care
  • Storage fees
  • Increase in utility costs

Most policies limit the time frame for coverage based on the type of loss you've experienced.

How much additional living expenses coverage do I need?

In order to determine how much coverage you need, first consider the state you live in, as some states require coverage for expenses incurred up to 12 months (and not a certain dollar amount). If you live in a state that does not have this requirement, think about all of your daily living expenses and ask yourself the following questions:

  • Do I have a lot of items to store?
  • Do I own pets?
  • Do I go through a lot of laundry during the week, and, therefore, will I need to visit a laundromat often?
  • Will I have to spend more money on gas if my temporary lodging is farther away from work?

Check your policy for your limits. If you think you need additional coverage, let us know.