Ameriprise Financial online security guarantee
We understand that protecting your assets and identity is important to you. That's why we have safeguards in place to help keep your accounts safe and secure. We are committed to our clients and their privacy and apply multiple layers of security technology to protect both financial and personal information.
Ameriprise Financial will replace 100% of the funds removed from your Ameriprise® account(s) via online access to the secure site on ameriprise.com by someone you have not authorized to transact in such accounts, if you have met your obligations to secure your account(s) and information (as outlined below). We will consider transactions to be authorized, and not eligible for the guarantee, if they are initiated by any person with authority over the account, including persons with whom you have shared your credentials, you have authorized to manage the account, or that have the authority to act under a power of attorney from you, your employer, your plan trustee, or third-party plan administrator, including their employees, representatives or agents that have access to the account. We are not responsible for any of those parties’ failure to safeguard your accounts.
Because online security is a working partnership, you will need to undertake the following obligations to help keep your accounts secure and qualify for the guarantee.
Promptly and completely confirm account transactions and balances are correct and valid. This can be done through regular review of statements and account information sent through e-delivery, regular mail, and from your advisor.
Notify us of any unauthorized activity within 60 days after the date we made available to you the account statement showing that activity. You can notify us of any incidents such as suspected unauthorized transactions, unauthorized access, or account changes to Ameriprise Financial by calling 1.800.862.7919 and asking for client web support.
Cooperate fully with Ameriprise Financial in investigating and prosecuting any unauthorized activity in your account. This may include filing a police report, completing a notarized affidavit, and/or permitting access to your computer and/or mobile device(s) for us to effectively investigate fraudulent activity.
Additional steps you can take
We highly recommend that you further enhance your online security by following online best practices including examples listed below. While these are not required to secure the benefits of this guarantee, they represent some best practices recommended by security experts.
Use the secure site on ameriprise.com and the Ameriprise Financial app to access accounts
- If you have not done so already, register for the secure site on ameriprise.com so you can more frequently view accounts and information, and check specific transactions.
- Download the Ameriprise app, available for iPhone and Android devices. To install, search for "Ameriprise" in the respective app store.
Protect your ameriprise.com User ID, password, and account-related information
- Make sure your User ID and password are unique to the secure site on ameriprise.com.
- Protect your User ID, password, and related account information and do not share it with anyone.
- Enroll in email and text alerts to receive notification of changes to your account(s).
- Enroll in 2-Step Verification
- Change your password regularly, and ensure it is a “strong” password by using a combination of letters, numbers, a capitalized letter, and at least one specialized character (e.g., !, &, #, $, @).
- Do not store your password in your browser.
- If you write down your User ID or account number, store this information in a secure place away from your personal computer.
- Ameriprise Financial will never call, email, or send a text message to you asking you to verify your personal information (e.g., sign-on credentials, account information). If you receive such a request from someone purporting to be from Ameriprise Financial, hang up, do not respond to the text, and do not click on any links in the email.
Protect your computer and mobile devices
- Make certain that any electronic device you use to access ameriprise.com has up-to-date software, including a current version of your browser software, and security software such as anti-spyware, antivirus, and firewall features.
- Do not provide remote access to your computing devices to third parties promising to “clean up” your device or to provide remote “technical support.” These are often scare tactics designed to take control of your devices or to plant malware.
- Be aware of your surroundings when accessing your account in public and unsecured areas. Use a private network connection when using “free” Wi-Fi networks.
- Always log out and close your browser window or mobile app after using them.
- Do not leave electronic devices unattended when logged in to ameriprise.com.
- Add a pin code and enable fingerprint or face ID (if available) to secure your mobile device.
Follow email security best practices
- Do not respond to, open an attachment in, or click on a link within an email outside of the secure site if you suspect the message is fraudulent, is from someone you don’t know, or were not expecting to hear from.
- Always confirm wire instructions verbally or in person. Don’t rely on an email or letter, even if it appears to be legitimate.
- Do not reply to email requests for personal or financial information. Ameriprise Financial will never ask for your personal information such as your Social Security number, account numbers, or passwords, in an email.
- Email can be made vulnerable through malware installed on your computer so is not considered a secure communication channel. Do not send personal or financial information or documents through email. Instead, use Documents or Message Center to safely and securely send information and documents to your advisor.
For more information