Ameriprise tax download FAQ
Import tax data from your Ameriprise Financial tax statements into an electronic spreadsheet for easier tax preparation.
Important notes about your tax data import:
By accepting and using the import you assume full responsibility for the accuracy and security of the information on your tax return.
Following the import, carefully review and compare all items in the import against your tax statement(s) and your own records to verify that all reportable activity is accounted for and accurate.
The estimated availability date for Tax Year 2019 tax data is Feb. 8. 2020.
The Ameriprise tax download feature allows you, or a tax preparer working on your behalf, to download tax data from many 2019 tax statements, issued by Ameriprise Financial, into an electronic spreadsheet. You can save the spreadsheet to your computer and use it to easily complete your tax returns. See the list of tax statements that can be imported below in “Which tax form data will be available to import?”
The tax data import is not your official tax document. The printed tax statement(s) you receive from Ameriprise via U.S. mail are your official tax documents, and contain information that we will report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), as indicated on the tax statements.
Note: If you have access to TurboTax® or H&R Block® tax preparation software or online sites, you don’t need to use the Ameriprise tax download. We have a relationship with these vendors and the tax data can be imported directly into their software or online sites.
- Ameriprise clients, who are taxpayers on certain 2019 tax statements, may use the tax download feature. See the list of tax statements that can be imported below in “Which tax form data will be available to import?”
- Tax professionals, who have authorization from the taxpayer, can use the Package ID and Document ID found on page two of the clients’ tax package from Ameriprise to access and download the tax data found in that tax package.
- The Package ID and Document ID only allow access to the tax data from the particular tax package where they are published; and don’t allow access to any other tax packages or client data on the secure site at ameriprise.com.
- Accessing tax data without the authorization of the taxpayer is not permissible.
The second page of your 2019 tax package(s) has the login credentials (Package ID and Document ID) to access the Ameriprise tax download. Provide your tax professional with:
- Your complete 2019 tax package
- Web address to access the Ameriprise tax download — ameriprise.com/taxprofessionals
- Verbal authorization to access the data on your behalf
Use the “Import now” link found in the Ameriprise tax download section on the Resources for tax professionals page to access the login page for the tax data import.
The Package ID and Document ID found on the second page of your tax statement package(s) are your login credentials. Your login credentials are different every year.
Each 2019 year-end tax package you receive from us will have different login credentials and will need to be imported separately.
If you receive corrected tax statements, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more information see “If I receive a corrected tax statement, will the updated tax data be available to import?” below.
Note: The Package ID from the second page of your tax package is entered into the “Account” field on the login screen.
- Account (Package ID): Enter without spaces (e.g., 1234567890)
- Document ID: Not case sensitive, enter without spaces (e.g., 123A BC4 5678 may enter 123abc45678)
2019 tax information will be available to import starting in early February, 2020 after tax statements are mailed and available online.
- Review the 2019 tax statement mailing dates to determine when tax data will be available to import for various products and statements
- You will receive an invalid log on error message if you attempt to enter your login credentials before the data is available
Tax data for tax year 2019 will be available for import through the middle of October 2020. The exact date has not been set yet, but it will be close to the expiration of the 2019 filing extension, when the IRS discontinues e-filing.
Prior year tax data will not be available to download.
Note: Victims of hurricanes, wildfires and other designated natural disasters may be granted additional time to file. See your tax professional and visit the Tax Relief in Disaster Situations in the irs.gov newsroom to determine if this may impact you.
- Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions
- Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions
- Form 1099-INT, Interest Income
- Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income
- Form 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount
- Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
- If you receive more than one year-end tax package from Ameriprise, you will go through all of the steps in the “Import tax data” section below to import each package separately.
If you receive corrected tax statements, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more information see “If I receive a corrected tax statement will the updated tax data be available to import?” below.
Supplemental statements and supplemental information are not available for electronic import because we are not required to report that information to the IRS. See the following question for more information.
Tax information from the following tax statements, issued by Ameriprise Financial, is not available for electronic import. If your tax package contains only the statements listed below, you will receive an invalid log on error message after you enter your login credentials.
- Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains
- Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information
- Form 5498-ESA, Coverdell ESA Contribution Information
- Form 1097-BTC, Bond Tax Credit
- Form 1099-Q, Payments From Qualified Education Programs (Under Sections 529 and 530)
- Form 1099-LTC, Long-Term Care and Accelerated Death Benefits
- Form 1099-SB, Seller’s Investment in Life Insurance Contract
- Form 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
Additionally, supplemental statements or supplemental information are not available for import because we are not required to report that information to the IRS.
For example, ordinary loss for an Ameriprise Stock Market Certificate (SMC) reported on the detail for Interest Income supplemental statement, (with OL indicated in the Notes column)* will not import and must be manually entered into the tax return.
Please work with a qualified tax professional to ensure that you manually input all required and necessary information into your Federal or state tax return, as applicable.
*Ordinary loss reported on the Detail for Interest Income page may occur when the participation interest payment for a Stock Market Certificate is less than the total OID accrued during the term. There may also be ordinary loss reported on Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange transactions if a client surrenders a Stock Market Certificate early, before the term-end. The Form 1099-B ordinary loss information is available for electronic import.
- If you receive more than one tax statement package, as many clients will during the 2019 tax season, you will need to import each package separately using the unique Package ID and Document ID on the mailer page of each tax statement package.
- For example, if you receive a tax statement package that contains tax data from your IRA account (e.g. Form 1099-R) in early February, and in mid-February you receive tax data for your brokerage account (e.g., Form 1099-DIV), you will need to import each package separately
- If you receive corrected tax statements, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more information see the following question.
- The tax data you import is current at the time of the import. However, if you receive corrected tax statements, additional imports or manual adjustments to your returns may be necessary.
- Any corrected tax information will be available to import when the corrected tax statement is mailed to you. The corrected data will overlay the original data when it is imported.
- We will mail you only the tax statement that is being corrected or any new tax statements. If you previously received other 2019 tax statements that don’t require a correction, they will not be re-sent to you.
- The Package ID and Document ID which are your log-in credentials will always remain the same as they were on the year-end tax package. Any subsequent import using these log-in credentials will capture the most up-to-date tax data for all accounts with 2019 tax data available for import for that package.
If you receive a corrected tax statement, you may follow the “Import tax data” steps below to import updated tax data into a new spreadsheet and then use the updated information to complete your tax return.
Only current year tax data is available to download. However, tax statements, monthly/quarterly client account statements and trade confirmations are viewable online for seven years.
You should retain your own copies in a secure location if you anticipate you will need a record of account activity dating back more than seven years.
- Example: You may need a record of the year and amount of Roth IRA contributions found on your IRS Form 5498 when it is time to take distributions from your plan.
If you have questions about the tax data that is provided from Ameriprise or need technical support, please contact our Customer Service Center at 800.862.7919.
Import tax data
You can access a copy of most of your tax statements on the secure site on ameriprise.com to reference as you work on your tax return. Some annuity tax statements are only available on riversource.com.
- Register for the secure site on ameriprise.com
- Log in to the secure site on ameriprise.com
- Click "Statements & Documents"
- Select the Tax Statements folder
- Select the year that the document was made available on the secure site
- Click on link to access login page “Import now”
- Enter information into all of the fields as described below:
- Tax Year — Displays 2019 and only 2019 tax year data is available for import.
- Account — Enter the Package ID from page two of your 2019 tax statement package into this field. The Package ID may be entered without spaces (e.g., 1234567890).
- Document ID — Enter the Document ID from page two of your 2019 tax statement package into this field. If there are letters in your Document ID, they are not case sensitive.(e.g., 123A BC45 678 may be entered as 123abc45678)(e.g., 123ABC45678 may be entered as 123abc45678)
- File Type — Choose the type of file you’d like to import your tax data into, either the default CSV file (see definition in the next question) or a zip file.
Enter Code — A verification code must be typed into this field to complete the login process. A Visual Code will display on the screen as the default. Type the Visual Code exactly as it appears into the “Enter code” field.
Alternately, you can select to hear an Audio Code. Enter the letters and numbers you hear into the “Enter code” field. The Visual Code is the default for the verification code.
- Once all fields are completed, click the Download button. A dialog box will display. You can select if you’d like to open, save, or cancel the import spreadsheet.
- Select “Open” to view the import file. You will be able to save this file to your computer and /or print it.
Note: The import file contains data that may not have all of the adjustments that you will see on the printed or online version of your tax statements, For example transactions may not appear in chronological order, aggregate totals are not provided for multiple transactions, and in dollar amount fields any zeroes after the decimal don’t display. Once the data has been imported into the spreadsheet you may change cell format, sort or filter the data, and make any other adjustments to make the data optimal for completing your tax returns.
If you need technical support with your tax data import, please contact our Customer Service Center at 800.862.7919.
A comma-separated values (CSV) file stores numbers and text in records (rows) that contain a sequence of fields separated by tabs or commas. All records should have the same number of fields, in the same order. The CSV file format is very simple and supported by almost all spreadsheets and database management systems. Among its most common uses is moving data between programs that operate on incompatible (often proprietary and/or undocumented) formats.
The Ameriprise tax download tool is accessing your tax data and transferring it into a CSV file in a format that can be imported onto a spreadsheet. The imported tax data can then be saved in the spreadsheet and uploaded into a tax preparation program, eliminating the need for manual data entry.
Note: If you have access to TurboTax®, TaxAct®, H&R Block® tax preparation software or online sites, you don’t need to use this tax data download feature. We have a relationship with these vendors and the tax data can be imported directly into their software or online sites.
The data in the CSV file is raw data from the database. Once the data has been imported into the spreadsheet, you may change cell format, sort or filter the data, and make any other formatting adjustments to make the data optimal for completing your tax returns.
Note: Ameriprise Financial, Inc., is not responsible for verifying the accuracy of the information you provide to the IRS on your tax return (whether imported or not). It is solely your responsibility to review and confirm the accuracy of your tax information prior to filing your tax return. Carefully compare the imported data to the tax statement(s) you received from Ameriprise Financial.
For more information about the topics in this article or to request Ameriprise forms:
- Contact your financial advisor or qualified tax professional
- If you don’t currently work with a financial advisor or tax professional, contact the Ameriprise Advisor Center at 800.297.2012 for assistance.
- Call customer service at 800.862.7919
Review IRS publications and information on the IRS Website.