Online tax information FAQ
- Most tax statements are available on ameriprise.com
- Log in to the secure site on ameriprise.com and select Documents to locate and view your tax statements.
- Some annuity tax statements are only available on riversource.com.
- See next question for more information.
- RiverSource RAVA 5 annuity accounts can be identified on your financial statement by the account number:
- Accounts purchased in the state of New York begin with 9935
- Accounts purchased in all other states begin with 9925
- You can see copies of your tax statements for these accounts for the last two tax years on riversource.com.
- These tax statements are not available on ameriprise.com.
- Official tax statements will be mailed to taxpayers at the address of record attached to each account.
- Copies of year-end and amended tax statement are available online for seven years. For example:
- Until the 2018 tax statements are available, you have access to tax years 2011–2017.
- Once the 2018 tax statements are available you will have access to tax years 2012-2018.
- Copies of monthly and quarterly financial statements are also available online for seven years. Please remember to keep your own copies in a secure location if you will need a record of your account activity dating back more than seven years. For example, you may need to know the original purchase price of a mutual fund purchase for certain cost basis calculations, or the dates and amounts of your Roth IRA contributions when it is time to take distributions from your plan.
Below are some of the most common reasons you may not be able to view copies of your tax statements on ameriprise.com:
- Statement(s) might not be available yet — please check the tax statement mailing dates.
- You are not the taxpayer on the account. In some cases, only the person listed as the taxpayer on an account, whose Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) is on the tax statement, will have access to the online tax statement. While a joint account owner who is not the first-named taxpayer on the account will have access to the online tax statement for non-qualified brokerage accounts, this is not the case for other types of accounts.
- The taxpayer on the account is younger than 18 and therefore does not have access to the secure site on ameriprise.com.
- You do not have tax statements reportable under your Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) because the accounts you own didn't have reportable activity in 2018.
- Your only reportable activity was payments of taxable interest or dividends of less than $10. Per IRS rules we are not required to produce tax statements where reportable interest, dividend or original issue discount income is less than $10 during the year, unless the account was subject to backup withholding. This information is available on your monthly or quarterly statements and on the Ameriprise Annual Financial Statement.
- You own a RiverSource RAVA 5 annuity. For more information see "Where can I find online copies of my RiverSource® RAVA 5 annuity tax statements?"
There are some other special situations that might prevent the online availability of certain tax statements.
Yes. If you had access to the year-end statement(s) online1, any updated statements will also be available online at the time that they are mailed.
Updated tax statements may be issued when changes to previously reported tax information are required for various reasons such as:
- Corrections to transactions or data within an account
- Reclassifications of all or part of previously reported dividend income provided to us by the issuers of the stock or mutual funds after year-end tax statements were mailed2
- Cost basis corrections
1 Some tax statements are not available online. See “Why don't I see my tax information online?” above.
2 For more information on income reclassification, see Tax Filing FAQ — Why did I get a corrected Form 1099-DIV (Dividends and Distributions).
For a copy of your tax statement(s) contact:
- Your Ameriprise financial advisor
- A Customer Service representative at 800.862.7919
Please refer to the 2018 tax statement mailing dates to determine if the statement(s) you are looking for have already been mailed. Copies of tax statements are available online when they are mailed.
Accessing, printing and exporting your tax information
- Go to riversource.com.
- On the right side of the page in the "Annuity Client Login" section, click Register here.
- In the "No – I am a new user" box, select Go to create your User ID and password.
- Follow the guidelines listed on the page to create your User ID and password and click continue.
- Select your security validation question and answer. This will be used to verify your identity if you forget your password.
- Accept the terms and conditions of usage.
- Authenticate yourself by entering your name, Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number), date of birth, zip code and annuity contract/policy number.
- View your account data.
- If you enter incorrect user ID or password information when attempting to log in to the secure site you will be directed to a page where you will have the options to update your log in information.
- To retrieve your user ID click on "Forgot your ID?" Verify your identity by providing the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number), date of birth and last name. You will answer one of the security questions that you selected when establishing your account. Your user ID will be provided to you following a correct answer to the security question.
- To change your password, click on "Forgot your password?" Enter your user ID and click "continue". You will answer one of the security questions that you selected when establishing your account. Following a correct answer to the security question, your temporary password will be sent to your email address on file. Access your email and follow the instructions provided in the message to establish your new password.
- Online tax information is created as PDF files; you'll need to ensure that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 (or higher) on your computer.
- If you still have trouble viewing your online tax information, try saving it to your desktop and then opening the saved file.
- Open the online tax information.
- Use the functionality in Adobe Acrobat Reader under the "File" menu to "Save" and "Print."
Yes. The six types of forms that are available for download to TurboTax are 1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, 1099-OID and 1099-R. Other forms are not available for download but may still be necessary to complete your return. See your tax advisor for assistance.
For H&R Block, Form 1099-MISC is not available for download, but the other forms listed above are all available.
Tax information will be available to download at approximately the same time that tax statements are mailed and available online. You should wait until you receive your tax statements in the mail or access them online before importing your tax information. The mailer page of your tax statement contains your login credentials which change each year. You should always compare the imported information against the tax statement to verify that the information matches.
Tax data for tax year 2018 will be available for import through the middle of October 2019. The exact date has not yet been finalized, but it will be close to the expiration of the 2018 filing extension on October 15, 2019 when the Internal Revenue Service discontinues e-filing.
If you receive updated tax statements and you previously imported your tax data into tax preparation tools such as TurboTax®, H&R Block® or the Ameriprise tax download tool, additional imports or manual adjustments may be needed. The Package ID and Document ID on the front page of your amended tax package, which are your login credentials, will be the same as the Package ID and Document ID on the original tax package. Any subsequent import using these login credentials will capture the most up-to-date tax data for all accounts with 2018 tax data available for import from that package, whether they have been updated or not.
Note: Victims of hurricanes, wildfires and other designated natural disasters may have their filing deadlines postponed. For details about the filing extension, see Tax Relief in Disaster Situations on irs.gov.
If you have questions about your Ameriprise tax statements or need to get a copy of a tax statement that you can't view online, contact:
- Your Ameriprise financial advisor
- A customer service representative at 800.862.7919