Online tax information FAQ
- Copies of year-end and amended tax statement are available online for seven years.
- Currently tax years 2008–2014 are available.
- Once the 2015 tax statements are available you will have access to tax years 2009-2015.
Below are some of the most common reasons you may not be able to view copies of your tax statements on ameriprise.com:
- Statement(s) might not be available yet — please check the tax statement mailing dates.
- You are not the taxpayer on the account. For security reasons, only the person listed as the taxpayer on an account, whose Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) is on the tax statement, will have access to the online tax statement. For example, a joint account owner who is not the first-named taxpayer on the account will not have access to the online statement.
- The taxpayer on the account is younger than 18 and therefore does not have access to the secure site on ameriprise.com.
- You do not have tax statements reportable under your Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) because the accounts you own didn't have reportable activity in 2015.
- Your only reportable activity was payments of taxable interest or dividends of less than $10.00. We do not report or produce Form 1099-INT, Interest Income or Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions, for taxable earnings less than $10.00. This information is available on your monthly or quarterly statements and on the Ameriprise Annual Financial Statement.
- You own a RiverSource® RAVA 5 annuity. These accounts can be identified on your financial statement by the account number:
- Accounts purchased in the state of New York begin with 9935
- Accounts purchased in all other states begin with 9925
- You can see copies of your tax statements for these accounts on riversource.com.
There are some other special situations that might prevent the online availability of certain tax statements.
If you need to get a copy of a tax statement that you can't view online, contact your Ameriprise financial advisor or customer service at 1.800.862.7919.
- RiverSource RAVA 5 annuity tax statements are available on riversource.com.
- These tax statements are not available on ameriprise.com.
- These tax statements will be mailed to taxpayers at the address of record attached to each account.
If the original 2015 tax statement was available online1, then 2015 tax statements updated or corrected in 2016 will also be available online.
Tax statements that are updated in 2016 for tax years 2013 and/or 2014 will not be available online.
Updated statements will be available online at the time that they are mailed.
Updated tax statements may be issued when changes to previously reported tax information are required for various reasons such as:
- Corrections to transactions or data within an account
- Reclassifications of all or part of previously reported dividend income provided to us by the issuers of the stock or mutual funds after year-end tax statements were mailed2
- Cost basis corrections
If you need an additional copy of an updated tax statement which is not available online, contact your financial advisor or customer service at 1.800.862.7919.
1 Some tax statements are not available online. See “Why don't I see my tax information online?” above.
2 For more information on income reclassification, see Tax Filing FAQ — Why did I get a corrected Form 1099-DIV (Dividends and Distributions).
If you need a copy of a tax statement that is not available online, contact your financial advisor or customer service at 1.800.862.7919.
Please refer to the 2015 tax statement mailing dates to determine if the statement(s) you are looking for have already been mailed. Copies of tax statements are available online when they are mailed.
Accessing, printing and exporting your tax information
- Go to riversource.com.
- On the right side of page in the "Annuity Client Login" section, click Register here.
- In the "No – I am a new user" box, select Go to create your User ID and password.
- Follow the guidelines listed on the page to create your User ID and password and click continue.
- Select your Security validation question and answer. This will be used to verify your identity if you forget your password.
- Accept the terms and conditions of usage.
- Authenticate yourself by entering your name, Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number), date of birth, zip code and annuity contract/policy number.
- View your account data.
- If you enter incorrect user ID or password information when attempting to log in to the secure site you will be directed to a page where you will have the options to update your log in information.
- To retrieve your user ID click on "Forgot your ID?" Verify your identity by providing the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number), date of birth and last name. You will answer one of the security questions that you selected when establishing your account. Your user ID will be provided to you following a correct answer to the security question.
- To change your password, click on "Forgot your password?" Enter your user ID and click "continue". You will answer one of the security questions that you selected when establishing your account. Following a correct answer to the security question, your temporary password will be sent to your email address on file. Access your email and follow the instructions provided in the message to establish your new password.
- Online tax information is created as PDF files; you'll need to ensure that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 (or higher) on your computer.
- If you still have trouble viewing your online tax information, try saving it to your desktop and then opening the saved file.
Yes. The six types of forms that are available for download to TurboTax are 1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, 1099-OID and 1099-R.
For H&R Block Tax Software Form 1099-MISC is not available for download but the other forms listed above are all available.
Tax information will be available to download at approximately the same time that tax statements are mailed and available online. You should wait until you receive your tax statements in the mail or access them online before importing your tax information. The mailer page of your tax statement contains your login credentials which change each year. You should always compare the imported information against the tax statement to verify that the information matches.
Tax data for tax year 2015 will be available for import through the middle of October 2016. The exact date has not yet been finalized, but it will be close to the expiration of the 2015 filing extension on October 15, 2016 when the Internal Revenue Service discontinues e-filing.