It's never too early — or too late — to start planning for a more confident retirement. By breaking it down into small pieces, retirement planning can be more manageable and simpler.
Select the retirement stage below that best describes you to get started.
Important Upcoming Dates
January – April 2016
Final installment of 2015 estimated tax is due for those who are self- employed or have income not subject to withholding
- Corporations file for the 2015 calendar year and pay any taxes due
- Deadline for corporations operating on a calendar year that are not on extension to establish and contribute to a SEP IRA for 2015
2015 required minimum distribution deadline for individuals born July 1, 1944 to June 30, 1945 (If initial RMD was not satisfied by 12/31/15)
- First installment of 2016 estimated quarterly tax payment due for those who are self-employed or have income not subject to withholding
- Individual, calendar year partnerships and sole proprietorship 2015 returns are due
- Deadline for sole proprietors and calendar year partnerships that are not on extension to establish and contribute to a SEP IRA for 2015
- Deadline for funding a traditional or Roth IRA for 2015
* April 19 for Maine and Massachusetts
IRS Revenue Ruling 2015-13 clarifies the effects of legal holidays on the deadlines for 2015 individual tax return filings, IRA contributions and estimated tax payments. Emancipation Day, a legal holiday in the District of Columbia, is usually observed on April 16. Because April 16, 2016 falls on a Saturday, the observance of Emancipation Day occus on the preceding day, Friday, April 15, 2015. Due to this legal holiday observance, the individual tax return filing, IRA and Coverdell ESA contributions, and estimated tax payments deadlines are delayed until Monday, April 18, 2015 for most taxpayers.
May – August 2016
Second installment of 2016 estimated quarterly tax payment due for those who are self-employed or have income not subject to withholding
Employers sponsoring calendar year qualified plans with eligible employees or $250,000 or more in assets must file IRS form 5500 or 5500-EZ
September – December 2016
- Third installment of 2016 estimated quarterly tax payment due for those who are self-employed or have income not subject to withholding
- For corporations operating on a calendar year that filed for a six-month extension, deadline to establish and contribute to a SEP IRA for 2015
- Deadline for calendar year partnerships that filed for a five month extension to establish and contribute to a SEP IRA
Deadline for small business owners to set up a new SIMPLE IRA or Safe Harbor 401(k)
- Deadline for sole proprietors that filed for a six-month extension to establish and contribute to a SEP IRA for 2015
- Extended 2015 tax filing deadline for those who filed for an extension on IRS Form 4868
- Deadline to recharacterize an IRA contribution or conversion from 2015
While the deadline for individual tax return filing and for making 2015 IRA and Coverdell ESA contributions is Monday, April 18, 2016 for most taxpayers (see footnote above), for Massachusetts and Maine residents the deadline is delayed an additional day to Tuesday, April 19, 2016, due to the observance of Patriot’s Day in those states. The due date for making estimated tax payments is April 18, 2016 for all taxpayers regardless of residency.
- Deadline to take required minimum distributions (RMDs) for 2016 for individuals born June 30, 1945 or earlier
- Deadline for conversions to Roth IRA for 2016
- Deadline for selling non-qualified securities to realize a gain or loss, if appropriate
- Charitable giving deadline for 2016 tax write-offs
- Deadline for small business owner to establish a calendar year qualified plan