Password and login information
To change your Ameriprise Financial site User ID or password, go to the Security Settings in your Profile.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use the same User ID and password for multiple services?
You can use the same User ID and password for multiple Ameriprise Financial sites. When registering for a new service, simply log in using the same User ID and password to start the registration process.
What are the requirements for creating my User ID and password?
User ID requirements:
- 5 to 20 characters
- At least 1 letter
- No spaces
Password requirements and security tips:
- 8 to 240 characters. Create a longer password to make it harder to crack
- Upper and lower case letters
- At least 1 number
- At least 1 special character
- No spaces
- Don’t use the same password for multiple online accounts
- Don’t use adjacent keys on the keyboard, like 123456, qwerty, asdfgh, etc.
- Don’t use a previously used password
- Don’t use your personal information like birthdate, maiden name, address, etc.
- Don’t use information from your social media accounts or posts like partner/children/pet names, “likes,” hometown, schools attended, employer, etc.
- Avoid common words and phrases; get creative
Your password cannot contain:
- Your name or more than 3 characters in a row from your User ID
- More than 3 repeating characters (examples: 1111, aaaa, ####)
- The word 'password' or any variation of the word 'password'
- An email address, or be formatted similarly to an email address 'email@example.com'
- Back slash (\) or quotation mark (") special characters
Why do I see my login history in my profile?
As an added security measure, we display your account login history to keep you informed of when your account is accessed. The Device Details include logins from both the secure site and the Ameriprise Financial app (if relevant).
What should I do if it wasn't me who logged in on a timestamp or device shown?
If you use both the secure site and the Ameriprise app, know that the last login timestamp includes logins from both channels.
Also, if you’ve provided your login credentials to an account aggregation service other than Total View, you may see automated logins from that service reflected in your last login timestamp.
If you don’t use the Ameriprise app or an account aggregation service and are concerned that the last login displayed, wasn’t you, please contact Customer Service at 800.862.7919 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. CT; weekends 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT).
How far back can I see my login history data?
Your login history includes the last 6 months of separate logins on each device.
Why am I seeing the same device multiple times with different browsers?
Devices are grouped together by the browser or application that was used. If you used multiple browsers for one device, your device will be listed multiple times.
For example: If you logged in from your home computer using Safari and then logged in again using Chrome, you will see two different devices for your home computer listed in your login history.
Why does my login history display as ET? That is not my current time zone.
Our login history defaults to USA Eastern Time for all the users.
I don’t recognize my Approx. IP Location; I’m not located there. Why would it be incorrect?
IP locations are a rough estimate of where your IP address is located within a country, region, and city. Your location’s accuracy can vary, especially if you’re using a mobile network on your cell phone versus your personal internet service at home. If the location listed is far away and you didn’t recognize your device or browser, call Customer Service to report a potential unauthorized login at 800.862.7919 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. CT; weekends 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT).
Will my login history be deleted if I change my User ID?
Your login history is retained if you change your User ID within your existing profile.