University of Wisconsin Tax-Sheltered Annuity 403(b) Plan
Ameriprise Financial, one of the approved investment providers for your 403(b) plan, has been offering 403(b) services since 1962. We'll help you build a confident retirement through a comprehensive and personalized approach built on a long-term relationship with a knowledgeable advisor.
Your 403(b) plan is a supplement to the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) pension plan which provides retirement benefits for employees of the State of Wisconsin and most local units of government in Wisconsin. See http://etf.wi.gov/ for more information.
Get started today
Our advisors have been trained on University of Wisconsin benefits and can help you plan for retirement, develop investment strategies and help you manage your taxes more efficiently.
Investment options for your 403(b)
A variable annuity can work for you through every stage of your investing life – from growing your money, to receiving income in retirement, to leaving a financial legacy for your heirs. Variable annuities are insurance products that are complex, long-term investment vehicles that are subject to market risk, including the potential loss of principal invested.
How we can help you reach your retirement goal
- Access to a broad range of investment options. You can invest in subaccounts that include stocks, bonds (or a blend of the two) that have the potential to perform well in a variety of market conditions.
- Flexible income options. At retirement you can choose to take a lump sum withdrawal, set up systematic payments or choose an income stream that can be guaranteed to last as long as you live.
- Transfer your wealth. Death benefits guarantee your beneficiaries will receive at least what you invested in your annuity (less any withdrawals you took out) or the contract value at the time of your death, if that value is higher. (Note: If you are age 80 or older at time of purchase, the guaranteed death benefit will be the contract value.)
Guarantees are based on the continued strength and claims-paying ability of RiverSource Life Insurance Company and are subject to its claims paying ability. These guarantees do not apply to the performance of the variable subaccounts, which will vary with market conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
In order to take a distribution from your 403(b) plan, you must have met a qualifying event:
- Age 59½
- Separation from employment
Contact your Ameriprise financial advisor for the appropriate form. A signature from the University of Wisconsin is not required on the Ameriprise form.
For additional questions, reference the UW TSA 403(b) Question and Answer Guide.
Our comprehensive approach
Retirement can be a welcome turning point in your life — a time to enjoy hobbies, travel or even launch a second career. To enjoy the retirement you envision, it's important to start saving early and plan ahead. And with increasing life expectancies, you may need to plan for a retirement that could last 20-30 years or more.
One way to save for your retirement goals is through your tax-sheltered annuity 403(b) plan. Working with an Ameriprise financial advisor allows you to create a 403(b) account that is invested based on your individual situation. Our advisors can assist in showing you how the 403(b) program complements your Wisconsin Retirement System pension plan bringing much needed flexibility to your retirement.
We understand that retirement is not your only financial concern. An Ameriprise financial advisor has the tools and resources to help you with your complete financial picture. Fees for these services will vary based on the complexity of your financial situation.
- Cash and liabilities — Manage your cash and reduce debt so you can find money to both address your cash-flow needs and long-term goals.
- Investments — Explore a complete range of diversified investment options that align with your longer-term objectives, like purchasing a new home or saving for your children's education.
- Protection — Protect your family and your assets from risk of unforeseen events.
- Taxes — Consider additional strategies that allow you to diversify the tax status of all your investments — recognizing that your 403(b) is already a tax advantaged way to invest.
For questions and assistance, please call 608.819.0500. Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Central time.
Access Your Accounts
Access your financial account information through the secure site on ameriprise.com. View your assets, communicate with your advisor, track your portfolio and transfer money.