For more than 120 years, Ameriprise Financial has initiated positive change in the communities where we live and work. We help our clients plan for their future but the help many others need is getting through the next day or week. This is where we focus our giving – providing the next meal, a bed for a night, improved wages, basic budgeting skills and vital communities. In 2014, 163 grants helped strengthen nonprofits in these areas.
- Commitment to hunger-relief
- Strategic grant making
- Support for veterans
- Disaster relief and recovery
- Employee and financial advisor gift matching and volunteerism
Commitment to hunger-relief
One in six Americans struggles with hunger. These are often hard-working adults, children and seniors who simply cannot make ends meet and are forced to go without food for several meals, or even days. Ameriprise Financial is proud to partner with Feeding America, the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization, serving 46 million Americans — including 16 million children — struggling with hunger (source: Feeding America).
In 2014, our company, financial advisors and employees provided 10 million meals to hunger-relief organizations across the country by:
- Matching $500,000 in public donations to Feeding America Sept. through Nov.
- Rallying 12,500 Ameriprise volunteers to provide 30,000 hours to Feeding America member food banks and hunger-relief nonprofits for our fifth National Day of Service.
- Awarding grants to 48 hunger-relief organizations nationwide.
- Conducting employees and advisor food drives and volunteer events.
- Matching employee and advisor donations to hunger-relief organizations.
Strategic grant making
Grant making is an important part of how we strengthen our communities and help individuals start on a path to financial independence. To increase our collective impact, we strategically focus our giving on three priorities to better leverage our resources and engage our people:
- Meeting Basic Needs — Helping people in our neighborhoods find their next meal, a place to sleep tonight or a livable wage job.
- Supporting Community Vitality — Building communities where neighbors look out for one another, cultural events are accessible and people pull together in times of crisis and joy.
- Volunteer-Driven Causes — Supporting nonprofits that strengthen our communities through the active engagement of Ameriprise people as volunteers.
Grant applications may be submitted at any time and are reviewed twice per year with deadlines of January 15 and May 15. We will notify you of our decision within 4 months of the deadline date. Please review the Ameriprise Financial Grant Making Guidelines and apply for a grant today.
Support for wounded veterans
Ameriprise Financial is proud to support Wounded Warrior Project®(WWP). The mission of WWP is to honor and empower Wounded Warriors, and help them adjust to their new normal. WWP serves post-9/11 veterans and service members who incurred a physical or mental injury, illness, or wound due to their military service — along with their caregivers and families – through 20 free, life-saving programs and services that focus on nurturing the mind and body, and encouraging economic empowerment and engagement.
Ameriprise funding supports the Warriors to Work® program, which provides career guidance, job placement and support services to warriors seeking employment.
Disaster relief and recovery
As a company committed to personal financial planning, we strongly believe in preparing for the unexpected in life. In addition to the focus areas above, every year we support the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund and International Response Fund so that they can immediately help when tragedy hits a community. We also support the St. Bernard Project a national long-term disaster recovery organization who helps communities impacted by disasters have the resources to prepare and recover in the most prompt, efficient and predictable way possible.
Employee and advisor gift matching and volunteerism
One of our company values is “respect for individuals and the communities in which we live and work.” We help advisors and employees live this value by matching donations up to an annual maximum of $2,000 per eligible individual and providing paid time off to volunteer. In 2014 employees and advisors contributed more than $3.8 million to nonprofits of their choice. Together with our company match, more than $6.8 million was awarded to 6,000 nonprofits last year. In addition, advisors and employees contributed more than 66,000 volunteer hours to causes important to them and by rallying together for our Ameriprise National Day of Service.
Awards and Recognition
- Civic 50, recognized twice as one of America’s most community-minded companies
- Charities@Work 2013 Corporate Excellence Award
- Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index, 100% score eight consecutive years
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal 2014 Best Places to Work
From the construction and operation of our corporate buildings to the initiatives we encourage employees, advisors and clients to implement, Ameriprise Financial is committed to responsible environmental practices. The following are some of our key initiatives and progress to date:
- In 2008, the Ameriprise Financial Center and Client Service Center in Minneapolis earned the ENERGY STAR® certification and have achieved this designation every year since.
- In 2009, the Ameriprise Financial Center was the first building in Minneapolis to receive the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) -Existing Building certification. The Financial Center received LEED Silver Certification. Our Client Service Center received LEED Gold Certification.
- 7 World Trade Center, the location for our corporate offices in New York, NY, was the first commercial office building in the city to receive the LEED Gold Certification.
- We work with Xcel Energy in Minnesota to coordinate electrical loads at our Client Service Center during high peak demand days (generally 90 + degree days) to reduce overall demand.
- Our standards for new advisor office construction incorporate sustainable building materials.
- We have multiple programs that have led to considerable reduction in energy in our headquarters building, including installing automatic shut-off lights, reducing heating and cooling in the evenings and over weekends, and replacing light bulbs to lower wattage bulbs.
- We have been a long-term supporter of public transportation for our employees, and in 2008 we were recognized for a Commuter Choice Award by the city of Minneapolis.
- In partnership with Minneapolis metro transit, we created and have continued to subsidize the Metropass system to encourage employees to use public transportation and reduce commuter traffic, and we offer free carpooling, scooter and bicycle parking in multiple office locations.
- We are a sponsor and leading participant in the city of Minneapolis’ annual Bike and Walk to Work Day events.
Recycling and Waste
- Reducing paper usage is a company-wide initiative. We are committed to helping clients switch from paper to electronic delivery of their documents, developing systems that allow financial advisors to submit business online in a secure fashion, and providing proxy materials online for Ameriprise shareholders. For example, since 2008 we've helped over 620,000 clients switch from paper to electronic delivery of numerous documents, meaning that every year we use significantly less paper to communicate with and serve our clients.
- We collaborate with our vendors and partners to reduce and eliminate waste, including recycling toner and using environmentally friendly cleaning products. In addition, we have worked with our food service vendors to incorporate sustainable and local food sourcing, recycle food waste through partnerships with local farmers and eliminate the use of Styrofoam.
If you have questions regarding community relations, please send us an email.