When will my Ameriprise Financial tax information be available online?
Your tax information will be available online at the same time as we mail your tax documents. Please refer to the 2020 tax document mailing dates.
With the secure site on ameriprise.com, you can choose to receive your tax documents online only, rather than in the mail. When they become available for you to retrieve online, we’ll send you an email. See the E-delivery guide for instructions.
Where can I find online copies of my tax documents?
- Most tax documents are available on ameriprise.com
- Log in to the secure site on ameriprise.com and select Documents to locate and view your tax documents.
- Some annuity tax documents are only available on riversource.com.
- See next question for more information.
Where can I find online copies of my RiverSource® RAVA 5, RiverSource Assured® fixed index annuity or Riversource® Innovations Select annuity tax documents?
- RiverSource annuity accounts can be identified on your financial statement by the account number:
- Accounts purchased in the state of New York begin with 9935
- Accounts purchased in all other states begin with 9925
- You can see copies of your tax documents for these accounts for the last two tax years on riversource.com.
- These tax documents are not available on ameriprise.com.
- Official tax documents will be mailed to taxpayers at the address of record attached to each account. They are also available for e-delivery.
How long will my tax information be on the secure site on ameriprise.com?
- Copies of year-end and amended tax document are available online for seven years. For example:
- Until the 2020 tax documents are available, you have access to tax years 2013–2019.
- Once the 2020 tax documents are available you will have access to tax years 2014-2020.
- Copies of monthly and quarterly financial statements are also available online for seven years. Please remember to keep your own copies in a secure location if you will need a record of your account activity dating back more than seven years. For example, you may need to know the original purchase price of a stock purchase for certain cost basis calculations, or the dates and amounts of your Roth IRA contributions when it is time to take distributions from your plan.
Will I still get paper tax documents in the mail?
If you have not elected e-delivery of your tax documents, you will continue to receive paper tax documents in the mail even though they are available online.
If you have elected e-delivery of your tax documents, we will not send copies to you in the mail. When your tax documents become available for you to retrieve online from the secure site on ameriprise.com, we’ll send you an email. See the E-delivery guide for instructions.
Why don't I see my tax information on ameriprise.com?
Below are some of the most common reasons you may not be able to view copies of your tax documents on ameriprise.com:
- Document(s) might not be available yet — please check the tax document mailing dates.
- You are not the taxpayer on the account. In some cases, only the person listed as the taxpayer on an account, whose Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) is on the tax statement, will have access to the online tax document. While a joint account owner who is not the first-named taxpayer on the account may have access to the online tax statement for nonqualified brokerage accounts, this is not the case for other types of accounts.
- The taxpayer on the account is younger than 18 and therefore does not have access to the secure site on ameriprise.com.
- You do not have tax documents reportable under your Social Security number (or other taxpayer identification number) because the accounts you own didn't have reportable activity in 2020.
- Your only potentially reportable activity was payments of taxable interest, original issue discount, or dividends of less than $10. Per IRS rules we are not required to produce tax documents where reportable interest, original interest discount, or dividend income is less than $10 during the year, unless the account was subject to backup withholding or paid a foreign tax credit. This income information is available on your monthly or quarterly statements and on the Ameriprise Annual Financial Statement.
- You own a RiverSource RAVA 5 annuity. For more information see "Where can I find online copies of my RiverSource® RAVA 5 annuity tax statements?"
There are some other special situations that might prevent the online availability of certain tax documents.
Will updated tax information be available online?
Yes. If you had access to the original documents online1, any updated documents will also be available online at the time that they are mailed.
Updated tax documents may be issued when changes to previously reported tax information are required for various reasons such as:
- Corrections to transactions or data within an account
- Reclassifications of all or part of previously reported dividend income provided to us by the issuers of the stock, real estate investment trust, unit investment trust, or mutual fund after year-end tax statements were mailed2
- Cost basis corrections
1 Some tax documents are not available online. See “Why don't I see my tax information online?” above.
2 For more information on income reclassification, see Tax Filing FAQ — Updated or amended tax reporting.
How do I get a copy of my tax document if it isn't available online?
For a copy of your tax document(s) contact:
- Your Ameriprise financial advisor
- A Customer Service representative at 800.862.7919
Please refer to the 2020 tax document mailing dates to determine if the document(s) you are looking for have already been mailed. Copies of tax documents are available online when they are mailed.