Where can I find my Ameriprise login credentials for importing tax data to H&R Block?
The Package ID and Document ID found on the first page of your tax document package(s) are your login credentials. Your login credentials are different every year.
Each 2020 year-end tax package you receive from Ameriprise will have different login credentials and will need to be imported separately.
Type in all capital letters (no lower-case) and include spaces when entering your Package ID and Document ID. The security verification protocol is both case and space sensitive. Note the Package ID for nonqualified tax forms has eight characters with no spaces.
- Qualified tax package example:
- Package ID: 0003 7341076 133E6C8
- Document ID: 0M01N7RXPHF3MZC
- Nonqualified tax package example:
- Package ID: 67283417
- Document ID: 4VM97KW865NAL12
If you receive corrected tax documents your log-in credentials will always remain the same as they were on the year-end tax package. For more information, see “If I receive a corrected tax document, will the updated tax data be available to import?” below
Who is able to import tax data using H&R Block?
Ameriprise clients who have access to the H&R Block software or online products can use the import feature. See the list of tax documents that can be imported below in “Which tax form data will be available to import?”
When will 2020 tax data be available to import?
- 2020 tax data will be available to import starting in early February 2021 after tax documents are mailed and available online.
- Review the tax document mailing dates to determine when data will be available for various products and documents.
- You will receive an invalid log on error message if you attempt to enter your login credentials before the data is available.
Note: Until tax data becomes available in early February, you will see a screen “No Documents Currently Available for Import”, which lets you know when tax data for various documents will be available to import. Attempts to download tax data prior to those dates will be unsuccessful and result in an error message.
- Tax data for tax year 2020 will remain available for import through the middle of October 2021. The exact date has not been set yet, but it will be close to the expiration of the 2020 filing extension on October 15, 2021, when the IRS discontinues e-filing.
Note: Victims of natural disasters may receive an extension for their tax return filing. However, tax data for tax year 2020 will no longer available for electronic import to tax preparation tools after October 2021. For details about the filing extension, see Tax Relief in Disaster Situations on irs.gov.
Which tax information will be available to import?
- Form 1099-B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions
- Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions
- Form 1099-INT, Interest Income
- Form 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount
- Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
- If you receive more than one year-end tax package from Ameriprise, you must import each package separately. View “Import tax data” section below for step-by-step instructions.
- If you receive corrected tax documents additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more information see “If I receive a corrected tax document, will the updated tax data be available to import?” below.
- Supplemental statements or supplemental information are not available for electronic import because we are not required to report that information to the IRS. See the following question for more information.
Which tax information will NOT be available for import?
Tax information from the following tax documents, issued by Ameriprise, is not available for electronic import. If your tax package contains only the the forms listed below, you will see receive an invalid log on error message after you enter your login credentials.
- Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains
- Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information
- Form 5498-ESA, Coverdell ESA Contribution Information
- Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income
- Form 1099-Q, Payments From Qualified Education Programs (Under Sections 529 and 530)
- Form 1097-BTC, Bond Tax Credit
- Form 1099-LTC, Long-Term Care and Accelerated Death Benefits
- Form 1099-SB, Seller's Investment in Life Insurance Contract
- Form 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
Additionally, supplemental statements and supplemental information are not available for import because we are not required to report that information to the IRS.
For example, ordinary loss for an Ameriprise Stock Market Certificate (SMC) reported on the Detail for Interest Income supplemental statement will not import and must be manually entered into the tax return. Ordinary loss reported on the Detail for Interest Income page may occur when the participation interest payment for a Stock Market Certificate is less than the total OID accrued during the term. There may also be ordinary loss reported on Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange transactions if a client surrenders a Stock Market Certificate early, before the term-end. The Form 1099-B ordinary loss information is available for electronic import.
Please work with a qualified tax professional to ensure that you manually input all required and necessary information into your Federal or state tax return, as applicable.
What should I do if I receive more than one year-end tax package?
- If you receive more than one tax document package, you will need to import the data from each package separately following the steps in “How do I import my Ameriprise tax form data" below and using the unique Package ID and Document ID on the first page of each package.
- For example, if you receive a tax document package that contains tax data from your IRA account (e.g. Form 1099-R) in early February, and in mid-February you receive tax data for your nonqualified brokerage account (e.g., Form 1099-DIV and Form 1099-B), you will need go through the data import process separately for each package.
- If you receive corrected tax documents, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more see “If I receive a corrected tax document, will the updated tax data be available to import?” below.
If I receive a corrected tax document, will the updated data be available for import?
- The tax data you import is the data available at the time of the import. If you receive corrected tax documents, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary.
Any corrected tax information will be available to import at the time the corrected tax document is mailed and the corrected data will overlay the original data when it’s imported, as long as no manual updates have been made*.
We will mail you only the tax document that is being corrected or any new tax statements. If you previously received other 2020 tax documents that don’t require a correction they will not be re-sent to you.
The Package ID and Document ID which are your log-in credentials will always remain the same as they were on the year-end tax package. Any subsequent import using these log-in credentials will capture the most up-to-date tax data for all accounts with 2020 tax data available for import for that package.
If you receive a corrected tax document, follow the “How do I import my Ameriprise tax form data” steps below to import your updated tax data into your tax return. The updated data will replace your previously imported tax data, as long as no manual updates have been made*.
*Critical: When you import more than once using the same login credentials, your corrected data does not overlay previously imported data and may create duplicate records. Duplicate records are flagged for your attention and must be reviewed to determine if they need to be edited or deleted.
How can I get additional assistance?
- H&R Block support can be reached at 800.472.5625.
- H&R Block offers tax tools and resources on their website www.HRBlock.com
- If you have questions about the tax data that is provided from Ameriprise Financial contact our Customer Service Center at 800.862.7919