What is the Ameriprise tax download?
The Ameriprise tax download feature allows you, or a tax preparer working on your behalf, to download tax data from many 2022 tax documents issued by Ameriprise Financial, into an electronic spreadsheet. You can save the spreadsheet to your computer and use it to complete your tax returns. See the list of tax form data that can be imported below in “Which tax form data will be available to import?”
The tax data import is not your official tax document. The printed tax document(s) you receive from Ameriprise via U.S. mail or e-delivery are your official tax documents and contain information that we will report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), as indicated on the tax documents.
Note: If you have access to TaxAct®, TurboTax® or H&R Block® tax preparation software or online sites, you don’t need to use the Ameriprise tax download. We have a relationship with these vendors and the tax data can be imported directly into their software or online sites.
Who is able to import tax data using Ameriprise tax download?
- Ameriprise clients who are taxpayers on certain 2022 tax documents, may use the tax download feature. See the list of tax documents that can be imported below in “Which tax form data will be available to import?”
- Tax professionals who have authorization from the taxpayer, can use the Package ID and Document ID found on the clients’ tax package from Ameriprise to access and download the tax data found in that tax package.
- The Package ID and Document ID only allow access to the tax data from the particular tax package where they are published; they don’t allow access to any other tax packages or client data on the secure site at ameriprise.com.
- Accessing tax data without the authorization of the taxpayer is not permissible.
How can I authorize my tax professional to use the Ameriprise tax download to complete my tax returns?
The second page of your 2022 tax package(s) has the login credentials (Package ID and Document ID) to access the Ameriprise tax download. Provide your tax professional with:
- Your complete 2022 tax package
- Web address to access the Ameriprise tax download — ameriprise.com/taxprofessionals
- Verbal authorization to access the data on your behalf
Where can I access the tax data for importing?
Use the “Import now” link found in the Ameriprise tax download section on the Resources for tax professionals page to access the login page for the tax data import.
Where can I find my login credentials for the Ameriprise tax download?
The Package ID and Document ID found on your tax statement package(s) are your login credentials. Your login credentials are different every year.
Each 2022 year-end tax package you receive from us may have different login credentials and will need to be imported separately.
If you receive corrected tax documents, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more information see “If I receive a corrected tax document, will the updated tax data be available to import?” below.
Note: The Package ID from your tax package is entered in the “Account” field on the login screen.
- Account (Package ID): Enter without spaces; not case sensitive
- Document ID: Without spaces; not case sensitive
When will 2022 tax data be available to import?
2022 tax information will be available to import starting in February 2023 after tax documents are produced.
- Review the 2022 tax statement mailing dates to determine when tax data will be available to import for various products and statements
- You will receive an invalid login error message if you attempt to enter your login credentials before the data is available
Tax data for tax year 2022 will be available for import through the middle of October 2023. The exact date has not been set yet, but it will be close to the expiration of the Oct. 17, 2022 filing extension, when the IRS discontinues e-filing.
Prior year tax data will not be available to download.
Which tax information data will be available to import?
- Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions
- Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions
- Form 1099-INT, Interest Income
- Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income (not available in H&R Block)
- Form 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount
- Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
- If you receive more than one year-end tax package from Ameriprise, you will go through all the steps in the “Import tax data” section below to import each package separately.
If you receive corrected tax documents, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more information see “If I receive a corrected tax document will the updated tax data be available to import?” below.
Supplemental statements and supplemental information are not available for electronic import because we are not required to report that information to the IRS. See the following question for more information.
Which tax information will NOT be available for import?
Tax information from the following tax documents, issued by Ameriprise Financial, is not available for electronic import. If your tax package contains only the forms listed below, you will receive an invalid log on error message after you enter your login credentials.
- Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains
- Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information
- Form 5498-ESA, Coverdell ESA Contribution Information
- Form 1097-BTC, Bond Tax Credit
- Form 1099-Q, Payments From Qualified Education Programs (Under Sections 529 and 530)
- Form 1099-LTC, Long-Term Care and Accelerated Death Benefits
- Form 1099-SB, Seller’s Investment in Life Insurance Contract
- Form 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
Additionally, supplemental statements or supplemental information are not available for import because we are not required to report that information to the IRS.
For example, ordinary loss for an Ameriprise Stock Market Certificate (SMC) reported on the detail for Interest Income supplemental statement, (with OL indicated in the Notes column) * will not import and must be manually entered into the tax return.
Please work with a qualified tax professional to ensure that you manually input all required and necessary information into your Federal or state tax return, as applicable.
*Ordinary loss reported on the Detail for Interest Income page may occur when the participation interest payment for a Stock Market Certificate is less than the total OID accrued during the term. There may also be ordinary loss reported on Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange transactions if a client surrenders a Stock Market Certificate early, before the term-end. The Form 1099-B ordinary loss information is available for electronic import.
What should I do if I receive more than one tax document package?
- If you receive more than one tax document package, as many clients will during the 2022 tax season, you will need to import each package separately using the unique Package ID and Document ID on the mailer page of each tax document package.
- For example, if you receive a tax document package that contains tax data from your IRA account (e.g. Form 1099-R) in early February, and in mid-February you receive tax data for your brokerage account (e.g., Form 1099-DIV), you will need to import each package separately.
- If you receive corrected tax documents, additional imports or manual adjustments to your tax returns may be necessary. For more information see the following question.
If I receive a corrected tax document, will the updated tax data be available to import?
- The tax data you import is current at the time of the import. However, if you receive corrected tax documents, additional imports or manual adjustments to your returns may be necessary.
- Any corrected tax information will be available to import when the corrected tax document is mailed to you. The corrected data will overlay the original data when it is imported.
- We will mail you only the tax document that is being corrected or any new tax statements. If you previously received other 2022 tax documents that don’t require a correction, they will not be re-sent to you.
- The Package ID and Document ID which are your log-in credentials will always remain the same as they were on the year-end tax package. Any subsequent import using these log-in credentials will capture the most up-to-date tax data for all accounts with 2022 tax data available for import for that package.
If you receive a corrected tax document, you may follow the “Import tax data” steps below to import updated tax data into a new spreadsheet and then use the updated information to complete your tax return.
How far back can I access tax statements?
Only current year tax data is available to download. However, tax documents, monthly/quarterly client account statements and trade confirmations are viewable online for seven years.
You should retain your own copies in a secure location if you anticipate you will need a record of account activity dating back more than seven years
How can I get additional assistance?
If you have questions about the tax data that is provided from Ameriprise or need technical support, please contact our Customer Service Center at 800.862.7919.