Retirement tools and calculators
Whether you're just beginning to think about retirement or are already enjoying it, these interactive retirement calculators and tools can make it easy for you to plan and prepare for the road ahead.
Do you know what it takes to work towards a secure retirement? Use this calculator to help you create your retirement plan. View your retirement savings balance and your withdrawals for each year until the end of your retirement.
This calculator compares two alternatives with equal out of pocket costs to estimate the change in total net-worth, at retirement, if you convert your Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA.
Determine how much monthly income your retirement savings may provide in retirement.
You can make catch-up contributions to many retirement plans beginning in the year you turn 50.
You can start taking penalty-free withdrawals from qualified retirement plans such as 401(k)s, 403(b)s and profit sharing plans after you left your employer in the year you turned 55 or later.
You can begin taking withdrawals without penalty from IRAs and qualified retirement plans.
You can start taking reduced Social Security benefits.
You can apply for Medicare.
You can start taking full Social Security benefits depending on your birth year. Any delay in applying for Social Security benefits, up to age 70, can qualify you for increased retirement benefits.
You must begin taking Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) from most retirement accounts.
Important Upcoming Dates
January – December 2018
- 2017 required minimum distribution deadline for individuals born July 1, 1946 to June 30, 1947 (if initial RMD was not satisfied by 12/31/17)
- Individual 2017 tax returns and tax payments are due
- Deadline for funding a traditional or Roth IRA for 2017
- Extended 2017 tax filing deadline for individuals who filed for an extension on form 4868 (application for automatic extension of time to file U.S. individual income tax return).Deadline for sole proprietors that filed for a six-month extension to establish and contribute to a SEP IRA for 2017
- Deadline to recharacterize an IRA contribution or conversion from 2017
Deadline to take required minimum distributions (RMDs) for 2018 for individuals born June, 30 1947 or earlier.
Deadline for conversions to Roth IRA for 2018
Deadline for selling non-qualified securities to realize gain or loss in 2018, if appropriate.
Charitable giving deadline for 2018 federal income tax deduction.
Note: Taxpayers may need to start the process by mid-December to meet the December 31 deadline.