It's never too early — or too late — to start planning for a more confident retirement. By breaking it down into small pieces, retirement planning can be more manageable and simpler.
Select the retirement stage below that best describes you to get started.
Important Upcoming Dates
January – December 2017
- 2016 required minimum distribution deadline for individuals born July 1, 1945 to June 30, 1946 (if initial RMD was not satisfied by 12/31/16)
- Individual 2016 tax returns and tax payments are due
- Deadline for funding a traditional or Roth IRA for 2016
- Extended 2016 tax filing deadline for individuals who filed for an extension on form 4868 (application for automatic extension of time to file U.S. individual income tax return).Deadline for sole proprietors that filed for a six-month extension to establish and contribute to a SEP IRA for 2016
- Deadline to recharacterize an IRA contribution or conversion from 2016
Deadline to take required minimum distributions (RMDs) for 2017 for individuals born June, 30 1946 or earlier.
Deadline for conversions to Roth IRA for 2017
Deadline for selling non-qualified securities to realize gain or loss in 2017, if appropriate.
Charitable giving deadline for 2017 federal income tax deduction.
Note: Taxpayers may need to start the process by mid-December to meet the December 31 deadline.